Innovation and creativity are one of the cornerstones to business. Success can be defined by the ability to take a step back from a problem, and re-imagine them to see new, original solutions.
If you take a look throughout history, the businesses who embrace innovation and creativity which stand out are those that haven’t just added to the game, but instead reinvented it.
Below are some of my favourite quotes:
1. “Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.” – Albert Einstein
2. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try.” – Dr. Seuss
3. “To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” – Joseph Chilton Pierce
4. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Maya Angelou
5. “The world is but a canvas to the imagination.” – Henry David
6. “The chief enemy of creativity is ‘good’ sense’.” – Pablo Picasso
7. “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not’?” – George Bernard Shaw
8. “Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.” – William Plomer
9. “Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity.”- Charles Mingus
10. “Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” – Mary Lou Cook
In a previous blog Building a Culture of Innovation – Part 2: The Pillars of Innovation I defined innovation as a tweak that creates incremental value by providing a new or better solution to a problem.
George Bernard Shaw would say about progress (innovation) “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
1. “The key to success is for you to make a habit throughout your life of doing the things you fear.” – Vincent Van Gogh
2. “A discovery is said to be an accident meeting a prepared mind.” – A. von Szent-Gyorgyi
3. “You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Anonymous
4. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – R. Emerson
5. “Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward; they may be beaten, but they may start a winning game.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
6. “Organisations, by their very nature, are designed to promote order and routine. They are inhospitable environments for innovation.” – T. Levitt
7. “It’s tough when markets change and your people within the company don’t.” – Harvard Business Review
8. “If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.” Albert Einstein.
9. “Care about people’s approval and you will be their prisoner.” Tao Te Ching
10. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.” D. Adams
Creativity and innovation have moved business forward. If companies do not embrace a culture of innovation and creative thinking, they will find themselves pushed out into the cold like Blockbuster and the rise of the online video streaming.
My final thought “In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” – Eric Hoffer
I would love to hear your stories of innovation and creativity and how new thinking has worked for you.
About the author:
A founder of multiple startups Hader Ali is an innovation & business consultant.
Hader Ali Consultancy works with startups, SMEs, and large organisations. Specialising in business strategy, product/service development, sales & marketing.
To future-proof your business. Hader Ali Consultancy will work with your company to create an innovation portfolio by providing a framework for structured innovation. All while creating an ecosystem of ideas and a culture of innovation.